Peter Schandl


HISTORY

Rust was first mentioned in a document in the year of 1317 as Ceel – the Hungarian word for Rüster (German for elm).
Wine making has always been part of everyday life in this small city with only 1700 inhabitants. Around 1470 Rust acquired the right to hold markets and in 1524 Queen Maria granted citizens of Rust the privilege to burn into their wine barrels the crowned letter “R” as a brand name.

1681 the citizens of Rust managed to buy themselves off by paying 60,000 golden guldens and 30,000l of the best wine (approximately 30,000l of the Ruster Ausbruch from the variety Furmint). This illustrates the fact that the wine makers of Rust have always benefited from the ideal growing conditions and the high quality of their wines.



Winery Wine Selection Become Acquainted Vineyards Rust at the lake Contact

© 2010 Winery Peter Schandl,
Imprintdeutsch